Radiant Orchid, colour of the year 2014Pantone, worlds main authority on colour, has declared “Radiant Orchid”, a warm light hue of purple, as colour of the year 2014. The colour is derived from nature, from a tropical orchid flower (Phalaenopsis).
Colour Of The Year
Once a year Pantone selects the colour of the year, a colour that reflects current Zeitgeist best and overall best addresses people’s mood & mind in the world. The colour is chosen after careful research accross the globe.
Pantone takes into consideration colour influences from various design industries and trends, such as the entertainment industry, travelling art collections, technology, sports, socio economic conditions etcetera.
Pantone motivated Radiant Orchid as colour of the year 2014 as follows:
Radiant Orchid has already been a popular colour in spring fashion shows.
Colour of the year for Floriculture
The colour Radiant Orchid originates from a flower of the tropical Butterfly Orchid (Phalaenopsis). The colour has marketing potential for growers in floriculture. Some ideas to piggyback:
- Register “Radiant Orchid” as a brand or cultivar name for a Phalaenopsis orchid (or another flowering plant).
- Sell potplants in pots of the Radiant Orchid colour.
- Anticipate on Pantone’s marketing campaign and present your product on (their) social media channels.
To mention just a few Phalaenopsis cultivars that match the Radiant Orchid colour well:
- Creations by Sion Orchids: ‘Tropic Old Pinky’, ‘Bellini’, ‘Tession’, ‘Mountion’.
- Creations by Anthura: ‘Las Palmas’, ‘Vienna’.
Phalaenopsis orchids with a radiant pattern on the flowers would fit the name Radiant Orchid best.
Radiant Orchid is a neutral colour that easily combines with other colours. So even if your plant itself doesn’t have the Radiant Colour, there’s still plenty of room for some creative combinations.
World’s colour authority Pantone introduced Radiant Orchid with their standardized code Pantone 18-3224. For different applications converted colour codes are available.
Standard reference for plant colour identification is the Colour Chart of the Royal Horticultural Society. The RHS colours that match Radiant Orchid best are: RHS 75D, RHS 77D and RHS 84C.
Other converted colour codes for Radiant Orchid you may be interested in:
- CMYK 19 70 0 0 (for printed matter)
- HEX #B163A3 (for website and digital media)
- RGB 200 107 168 (for website and digital media)
- PQ – 18-3224 TCX / PQ – 18-3224 TCX (for plastic, textile paper, wallpaper)
Some ideas for colour combinations:
- RGB: R200 (red), G107 (green), B168 (blue);
- CMYK: C19 (turquoise), M70 (pink), Y0 (yellow), K0 (black)
Hope this boosts your horticultural business.
Was this article helpful? Write your comment below!